Severe side slope on putts

By • Category: Putting

Golden Tee tips tricks Severe side slope on puttsIt takes lots of practice to know how far to the right to hit a 30-foot putt in Golden Tee that breaks 8 degrees left. Still, in almost all putting situations, you don’t need to rotate your golfer to compensate for severe slope. In the example above, I just try to gauge how far to the right I need to shoot the ball and hope it goes in.

Another guide I use is that on a flat green (no up/down) a 10 degree break equals the gap between 1 and 2 (or 2 and 3) on your trackball. So a left 5 break means aim your putt halfway between 2 and the gap between 2 and 3. On steep hills (up or down) you need to putt out a little farther.

As in the “Lag putts” section, there can be occasions where you do need to rotate your golfer to compensate for severe slope. I have not come across a slope yet where I can rotate one way, putt it straight, and have the slope of the green bring the ball into the hole. Rather, the tip here is to putt in the direction of the slope to help it along that way. So if I’m scared of a 10-degree slope to the left, I may rotate right and then putt the ball towards the left, with the slope, to try to get it in. It’s best to avoid these situations if you can, because it’s much easier to make putts where your golfer is facing straight on with the hole!

is a Golden Tee addict from Chicago, IL, thirsty for tips and tricks!
Email this author | All posts by

2 Responses »

  1. Skipper Ripper adds this comment:

    I’ve been having trouble with hard left-breaking putts (more than 6) turning
    over early, and making me miss left. Don’t know if it’s how I hit the
    trackball, but here’s what I did – real simple – I just pull the trackball
    back half-way between A and B before hitting the putt. I don’t miss as many
    now, and I can even miss some to the right. 😉

  2. On the severe slopes, I turn my player into the slope, pull back and then(thumb putter) aim my index fingers straight at the hole. I am probably 75% of the time drowning the ball and the other 25% in short putt range.

Leave a Reply